michael kors watches Problems with contractor dragg

Problems with contractor dragging his feet on repairs

I just purchased a duplex and the one side needs about one week of work and its week 5 and only one thing was done. I didn sign a contract because the management company recomended him. What would you guys do next? I going to talk to an attorney and ask if they can make up a contract that could fine the contractor $100 past compleition date for future use.

allcash thanks for the reply,yes you are right i in a jam now. But I am looking for advice in the future. It sad that a management company would reconmend somone then have them do this. i have a list of 12 people interested in the property. I did email the management comapany giving them one last chance to correct this or i will take my money back ect. The problem i have is that this is not a big area maybe 30,000 people so the managment is slim pickens. the other problem is that the homes only bring in 350 for each unit so i think the managment company is looking for a more of a 700 amonth unit. i explained to them i starting out and i even asked for area which they perfer to have properties at and they still never sent me any info. this has been a learning experience and a frustrating one forsure. Its back round check from here out on future work. The sad part is that i do have another contractor that is cheap fast and awsome so this is my fault all around.

I will add that you always MUST have a contract with your contractors that clearly explains what will be done and all expectation on how it will be done and in what timeframe. As all cash said, make sure the payments are always BEHIND the work so that they keep coming back until it is done. Also, charge them a late fee per day that they are beyond your contracted date. The last check should be the one that they use to put food on the table so they don want to see it get smaller every day that the work isn done.

One last thought, also get a contractor lein release waver signed when they are done or when yo michael kors watches u fire them so that they don attach a lein to your property.

Juzamjedit When you ask about form are you talking about a contract on word format? I currently looking for one. I talked to the attorney and he told me to just write somthing up. I think the best thing is to just tell them to do the work then they get payed or they get 25% nothing over $500 then the other 75% or the rest of payment when the project is completed. Good news is the project is completed and i will be veiwing the property this weeke michael kors watches nd. I think i might have to drag my feet on this one to. He won be doing anymore work with me in the future.

I am sure if you snooped around you could find a contract form to use. All established builders and rehabbers probably use a contract with their subs. It is crazy not to have one. Ask around at REIA and you will find something that you can use.

mach, A contract is a contract, you can put into is whatever you want. If you want to stipulate that they have to give you their poodle in the event that they don finish, you can do that. They have to sign the contract to get the job and if your terms are unreasonable, they won sign the contract and you will have to either change the terms or find someone else.

Also, I know this sucks, but I wouldn drag my feet too long in paying him and getting him out of your hair. If he is a jerk about it he will just file a mechanics lein on your property and then you have more problems. Chalk it up as a learning experience and get him out of there.

A contra michael kors watches ct up front with the contractors will help minimize this in the future. If you had a penalty in your contract for $X every day late then he would probably think differently about leaving you for another job.

Originally posted by “mach”:Juzamjedit When you ask about form are you talking about a contract on word format? I currently looking for one. I talked to the attorney and he told me to just write somthing up. I think the best thing is to just tell them to do the work then they get payed or they get 25% nothing over $500 then the other 75% or the rest of payment when the project is c michael kors watches ompleted. Good news is the project is completed and i will be veiwing the property this weekend. I think i might have to drag my feet on this one to. He won be doing anymore work with me in the future.

“Sorry, some other project paid more so we blew you off and fixed it when we were good and ready”

Well hell if the other job paid so much more, why doesn he give you a big fine discount? And how dare he blow you off in the first place? What kind of businessman is that?

One of these times that guy or someone like him is going to end up riding under my. I mean someones. Cadillac 😯 😀

I commin in late! But thanks for the tips. Not only do we have to make sure they have a license and insurance but that we do a contract

and dont let the money get behind you.

I didnt know there was a lien waiver. (Good to know)

The 25% payment for 25% of work done, Is good too.

I think before you bought the property you would have known the rent was $350 a unit. This is when I would have ask management if they would be able to manage these units. This is when they should have explained they were looking for $700 and not $350 units.

I would eat that $1500 and have another contractor tommorow.

From now on contracts!

Everybody says ” contracts” thats all good but what are you going to do if there ” judgment proof?” a contract is a good thing, so are liquidated damages and so are not getting ahead of paying for work that is not done. I learned from the big boys (Commercial developers and contractors) that the three are the best, also you need a good reputable contractor. I have been a General Contractor for going on thirteen years now and found out that it is to easy to take money and run if you are a scum bag contractor. I have been taken by many sum bag sub contractors until i learned as a Commercial Contractor to tie them up pretty tight in a contract that spells out time frame, scope of work, payment terms and liquidated damages. Also yes get a nortorized partial lien release as well as a nortorized final lien release.